Are you suffering from an inflammatory skin condition like acne, psoriasis and eczema - and not able to get on a healing path?
It could be an imbalance in your microbiome.
Once upon a time, the epidermis was looked upon as just a layer of dead skin cells; but now we know it's inhabited by a vast diverse microbial ecosystem. And when that ecosystem is lacking in diversity, it shows up as a wide range of common skin conditions allergic reactions, irritation, dryness, acne and eczema.
Researchers are starting to unfold the complex relationship between the skin's microbiome and skin health. And what's more, there are studies backing up the gut-skin axis, where we see the state of the gut microbiota reflected in the skin. Basically, gut microbes are responsible for sending out signals that trigger proper immune response, which prevents systemic inflammation that shows up as various types of dermatitis.
So what are some potential culprits that could be causing imbalances in your own skin-gut axis, and showing up as dermatitis?
* Environmental toxins like glyphosate
* Stress (physical/mental/emotional)
* Diet high in refined carbs and processed food
* Lack of plant fiber
* Harsh soaps and exfoliants on your skin
What can you start doing NOW to improve your gut-skin microbiota:
* Switch to organic foods and wash produce well (even better, grow your own)
* Only use antibiotics when absolutely necessary
* Maintain methods to reduce stress. Try breathing exercises; adjusting lifestyle to allow for more rest; exercising regularly, and using nervine herbs.
* Eat more plant fiber, which serves as a source of food for the good bacteria
* Avoid sugar and refined foods because they encourage the overgrowth of pathogenic bacteria
* Use gentle microbiome-friendly skincare products (coming soon to GWG!)
* Consume fermented food and drinks
* Use inulin-rich herbs, which provide a food source for good microbes
To learn more about the microbiome, check out the work by Zach Bush MD. And for medicinal, microbiome-supporting foods, SHOP the GWG kitchen collection!