Are you suffering from an inflammatory skin condition like acne, psoriasis and eczema - and not able to get on a healing path?
It could be an imbalance in your microbiome.
Once upon a time, the epidermis was looked upon as just a layer of dead skin cells; but now we know it's inhabited by a vast diverse microbial ecosystem. And when that ecosystem is lacking in diversity, it shows up as a wide range of common skin conditions allergic reactions, irritation, dryness, acne and eczema.
Researchers are starting to unfold the complex relationship between the skin's microbiome and skin health. And what's more, there are studies backing up the gut-skin axis, where we see the state of the gut microbiota reflected in the skin. Basically, gut microbes are responsible for sending out signals that trigger proper immune response, which prevents systemic inflammation that shows up as various types of dermatitis.
So what are some potential culprits that could be causing imbalances in your own skin-gut axis, and showing up as dermatitis?
* Environmental toxins like glyphosate
* Stress (physical/mental/emotional)
* Diet high in refined carbs and processed food
* Lack of plant fiber
* Harsh soaps and exfoliants on your skin
What can you start doing NOW to improve your gut-skin microbiota:
* Switch to organic foods and wash produce well (even better, grow your own)
* Only use antibiotics when absolutely necessary
* Maintain methods to reduce stress. Try breathing exercises; adjusting lifestyle to allow for more rest; exercising regularly, and using nervine herbs.
* Eat more plant fiber, which serves as a source of food for the good bacteria
* Avoid sugar and refined foods because they encourage the overgrowth of pathogenic bacteria
* Use gentle microbiome-friendly skincare products (coming soon to GWG!)
* Consume fermented food and drinks
* Use inulin-rich herbs, which provide a food source for good microbes
To learn more about the microbiome, check out the work by Zach Bush MD. And for medicinal, microbiome-supporting foods, SHOP the GWG kitchen collection!
After purchasing your GWG Herbal Brews (found in the kitchen collection), try these 3 easy, healthy, and delicious recipes:
** CHILL Sparkling Spritzer **
This relaxing & cooling blend features:
* Lemon Balm: soothes the nervous system, particularly digestive stress
* Linden: another nerve-soothing herb that also has an uplifting effect in times of heartache or grief.
* Chamomile: eases tension in the gut brain and relaxes cramps and tight muscles.
* Fennel Seed: carminative that releases trapped air
* Licorice Root: an adrenal tonic that restores healthy cortisol levels
1. Pour barely boiling water over 1 tbl of GWG CHILL herbal brew.
2. Steep 15 minutes, strain & while still warm, add honey to taste.
3. Mix with equal parts sparkling water.
4. Add a lemon, serve iced.
** Mate au Lait **
Trade your coffee in for this caffeinated, mineral & antioxidant-dense yerba mate tea blend featuring:
* Yerba Mate: anti-inflammatory action and immunity-supporting due to a combination of certain nutrients, including Vit C and E, zinc and selenium.
* Chicory Root gives this brew a rich flavor while improving gut health, thanks to it's inulin content, which is a prebiotic that feeds healthy gut flora.
* Cacao brings a whole lot to the party including antioxidants, iron, protein, magnesium, thiamin, carotene, and essential fatty acids (among other compounds). Cacao also boosts concentration and elevates mood by acting as an anti-depressant. Cacao may even lower blood pressure and improve virility.
* Peppermint has aromatic oils proven to boost mental alertness and clarity and reduce stress.
* Maca Root is a source of amino acids, magnesium, iron, B-vitamins (including B-12), and antioxidants. It helps with hormones, mood, and stabilizing blood sugar levels.
* Cinnamon reduces insulin resistance, which improves metabolic function, resulting in more efficient energy use.
* Licorice Root: acts as a sweetener and synergist while balancing cortisol levels.
1. Steep 1 bag of GWG NO CHILL herbal breww in 8oz of barely boiling water for 20 minutes.
2. Strain and add warm milk and honey to taste
** RESET Latte:
Skip the caffeine and get your extra zing with energy-boosting, mineral-rich herbs in this blend:
* Nettle Leaf is rich in sooo many nutrients including calcium, magnesium, iron, Vitamin K, silica, and protein. It strengthens the kidneys and adrenal glands, thereby building, energy and stamina while calming the nerves.
* Dandelion Root: supports liver function and improves digestion, allowing you to better assimilate nutrients, thereby improving energy and vitality.
* Reishi: used in Traditional Chinese Medicine as a longevity tonic herb that supports overall health and vitality. It's antioxidants stimulate the immune system while boosting energy and memory.
* Maca Root: amino acids, magnesium, iron, B-vitamins, antioxidants - all which support healthy hormone function that leads to stable mood and blood sugar levels.
* Cinnamon: improves metabolic function for more efficient energy use.
* Licorice Root: supports adrenal glands by balancing cortisol levels.
1. Steep 1 bag of GWG RESET herbal brew for 20 minutes.
2. Strain and add milk and honey to taste.
3. Add foam with a hand held froth wand, blender or shake the milk first.
This full moon in Cancer is the last lunar cycle of 2020, bringing a culmination to themes related to your home, family and relationships. It's also shedding light on your most private sense of self - your emotions and intuition - so you can see where you're needs are unmet, and keeping you from that sense of safety Cancer seeks.
2020 no doubt has us all feeling like our sense of safety and & security is teetering on the edge in one way or another. With active Capricorn energy (Cancer's polarity) all 2019-2020, we've been learning many hard lessons, facing many hard truths, and learning about diligence, patience, and hard work. So as we close out this year of forced transformation, focus on those Capricorn lessons you have likely now mastered, and integrate them into your daily life.
These themes are further flavored by Mercury conjuncting the Sun and Venus conjuncting South Node while square-ing Neptune. Some old patterns related to love, money, and relationships are coming up in order to get dissolved. The trick is not getting tricked. Mercury in Capricorn next to the Sun wants you getting focused on your direction and purpose and planning accordingly. In order to do that, you need to lift the veil on where you've been deluding yourself in regards to those Venus matters of love and money.
Cancer rules the moon so moon rituals are well-supported when the moon is in this part of the sky. Intuitive practices like yoga, shakti dance, drumming, chanting are all especially potent at this time and can be included in your moon ritual.
Visit my IG for more ideas on how to do a Cancer Full Moon Ritual.
*** T H E G R E A T C O N J U N C T I O N ***
Saturn & Jupiter conjunct in Aquarius, tomorrow on the SOLSTICE, shifting us into the avant garde
Saturn and Jupiter are transpersonal planets so their dominion centers around institutions, beliefs, philosophies, & laws by which we collectively live. These 2 planets reflect society & how we function within society, and when they make aspect to each other, we can guarantee a shift in societal norms and functioning. When they come together in the sky (a conjunction) - about once every 20 years - we enter a new cycle, leaving behind old structures in exchange for novel expansion.
Tomorrow's Great Conjunction is more notable as Jupiter and Saturn are fully entering a new cycle wherein majority of their conjunctions over the next 200 years will be in air signs (they were in earth signs previously). Because Air rules the mind, communications, thoughts and intellect, we're going to see shifts from earthy material-based values (money, resources, material things) to valuing fresh perspectives, innovation, & originality.
And with these 2 planets now donning the Aquarian style, we're going to see new sciences coming online as well new technologies. We can expect these new methods to focus on the environment, agriculture, money, and even clothing/fashion. Because Aquarius is a freedom fighter and social activist, we'll hopefully see this new forward movement making positive change for humanity, the environment, food & water quality, & labor reform.
During this time, however, we'll no doubt see Aquarius' shadow side, which manifests as the anarchist and rebel without a cause. It's a fixed sign, which means Aquarian shadow becomes stubborn with a refusal to hear other perspectives. We want to steady remind ourselves that true Aquarian nature is free & embraces individuality, which promotes innovative originality leading to new ideas.
Aquarian energy is how bring out our own brand of genius.
** Do you know what area of your chart Aquarius rules? This is the area of life receiving this Great Conjunction activation? Let me know in the comments!
PS If you're new to astrology, click here for some astrology 101
Every year has at least 4 (up to 7) potent possibilities for life-changing circumstances thanks to eclipse cycles.
2020 is having its 6th (and final) eclipse tomorrow on 12/14.
Eclipses bring unexpected, major life changes that are either outwardly or inwardly noticeable. With wild card energy like this, it's best not to attach to any expectations, however astrology does give us ways we can anticipate the unforeseen:
The zodiac signs of the eclipses give clues into how the changes will show up. For example, our current eclipse cycle is on the Gemini-Sagittarius axis, so changes might be triggered by questioning old belief systems, changing direction on a goal, or implementing new communication methods. You could also take a class or education path that leads you on a fated path.
The houses that your Gemini/Sagittarius axis rules indicate the areas of your life or psyche that will be changed. ie: if Gemini rules your 1st house, then Sagittarius rules your 7th house - these are the houses representing individuality vs. partnerships. You may find yourself letting go of partnerships (personal or professional) that inhibit your independence or you could change your approach to partnerships so that individuality remains a priority. When you combine the zodiac signs with the houses, potential themes can center around communication methods within partnerships or letting go of old belief systems you had about partnerships.
Stay flexible & detached. Eclipses sweep Fate in, ultimately teaching us how to surrender, trust and embrace the process.
(#AstronomyTip : eclipses occur when the full and new moons line up with the lunar nodal axis - the 2 opposite points in the sky where the moon crosses over Earth's ecliptic; these points change zodiac signs about every 18 months).